The Carrollton Police Department was established in 1907 under the direction of Chief S. J. Causey. In 1907, the Carrollton Police Department served a population of approximately 400 citizens. Currently, the Carrollton Police Department, under the direction of Chief Joel Richards, serves a population of approximately 26,000 residents, (excluding the campus at the University of West Georgia), in an area of 23 square miles. The daytime service population is estimated at 50,000 persons. In 1999, the Carrollton Police Department became a State Certified Law Enforcement Agency.
The Department has an approved strength of seventy-two (72) full-time sworn personnel and sixteen (16) part-time employees. The seventy-two officers primarily make up the Uniform Services Division and the Criminal Investigation Division. The Department also has several Community Oriented Policing Positions, which include a full time COPS Unit, and a School Resource Officer. There are fifteen (15) civilian employees serving as Court Clerks, Record Clerks, Receptionist, Administrative Assistants, Crime Scene Technician and Identification Technician. The part time employees are four (4) Reserve Officers, three (3) Assistant Court Clerks and none (9) School Crossing Guards. The School Crossing Guards are employed during the School year to work intersections and crosswalks, mornings and afternoons, during the school week.
I. QUALIFICATIONS TO COMPETE FOR EMPLOYMENT
Candidates must meet the following minimum requirements for employment with the City of Carrollton Police Department. The minimum requirements as set forth in Georgia Code 35-8-8, Requirement for appointment or certification of persons as Peace Officers, must be met before the effective date of hiring. Additional requirements may be mandated at the discretion of the City of Carrollton and the Chief of Police such as: present Peace Officer Certification, Prior completion of a POST mandated academy training program, or pertinent levels of education, and/or levels of experience or combination of the experience and education. Applicants must complete a City of Carrollton Police Department Application for Employment. Interested persons who receive an application will be informed of the details describing the steps in the hiring process, approximate length of time the process will require, and the policy on reapplication. Applicants will be made aware of the sensitive and/or confidential aspects of the background investigation and the procedures the Police Department will take to ensure the applicants privacy.
II. AUTOMATIC DISQUALIFICATION LIST
These additional minimum standard requirements are mandated at the discretion of the City of Carrollton and the Chief of Police. The following list will cause disqualification of the applicant for employment:
- Any Felony conviction
- Any Misdemeanor conviction, other than minor traffic violations, within the past five (5) years
- Any conviction of more than three (3) moving violations in the past three (3) years.
- Any driver’s license suspension as reference in Georgia Code 40-5-52 (concerning other states) within the past 12 months; 40-5-54 (concerning certain convicted offenses) within the past 12 months; 40-5-55 (concerning implied consent) within the past five (5) years; 40-5-56 (concerning failure to respond to a citation) within the past 12 months; 40-5-57 (concerning assessment of points) within the past 12 months; 40-5-75 (concerning marijuana conviction) within the past five (5) years. Other suspensions will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- Any Dishonorable, General, or Other than Honorable Discharge from any branch of the Armed Forces.
- Shall not have used, tried, tasted, experimented with, delivered, sold, or possessed any illegal controlled substance that would constitute a misdemeanor violation of Georgia State Law within the twelve (12) months prior to application.
- Shall not have used, tried, tasted, experimented with, delivered, sold or possessed any illegal controlled substance that would constitute a felony violation of Georgia State Law within the three (3) years prior to application.
- Any conviction of the crime of Domestic Violence
- Refusal to submit to a Polygraph or Voice Stress Analyzer (VSA) Examination.
- Currently under active investigation by Federal, State, or Local authorities, or under investigation by P.O.S.T.
- Refusal to submit to a physical examination by a doctor chosen by the City of Carrollton.
- Refusal to submit to a physical agility test.
- Refusal to submit to a drug and alcohol screening
- Refusal to submit to a psychological screening examination.
- Any tattoos, body art, or branding that will be visible outside the uniform (visible facial, head, lower neckline, or arm tattoo(s).
Applicants must answer truthfully and fully all questions asked of them. Any misrepresentation or omission of any material fact on the application, during the application, background investigation, or in any phase of the selection process shall disqualify the applicant. If an investigation discloses a willful misrepresentation, omission, or falsification, the application will be rejected and the applicant may be permanently disqualified from applying in the future for any position with the Carrollton Police Department.
APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED WEDNESDAY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
Contact Sgt. S. Davenport at 770-834-4451, or send email to email@example.com for an appointment.
Thank you for your interest in employment with the Carrollton Police Department. I ask that you review the checklist below. The purpose of this checklist is to prepare you to complete the application for employment. While it is recommended that you bring this information with you to aid you in the completion of the application, there is no need to type or prepare this information in any formal manner prior to completing the application.
You must bring these documents and/or provide this information at the time the application is completed.
- Current Driver’s License.
- Copy of your DD-214, if applicable.
- Proof of Educational Status, High School Diploma or GED Certificate in addition to Official/Certified copies of all transcripts (High School, College, Technical School, etc.).
- Police Academy Certificates, if applicable.
- References: (5) Name, address, home and work telephone numbers (these must be non-relatives and non-employer references).
- Credit references: Names, addresses, and amount owed to all creditors.
- Complete work history: Employer names, addresses, dates of employment, and reason for leaving. Explain any breaks in employment.
- List of addresses for the past ten years, and provide landlord’s name and contact information, if applicable.
- Be prepared to list any traffic citations, (offense and disposition) you have received.
- Be prepared to list any traffic accidents, in which you have been involved.
- Be prepared to write a full 8.5”x11” page about yourself.
- Proof of citizenship/birth certificate (original NOT a copy).
- Official copies of SAT, ACT, ACCUPLACER and/or COMPASS Scores
The City of Carrollton does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of services. All individuals considered for employment are evaluated without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, marital, or veteran status, the presence of a non-job related disability or any other legally protected status.
The Department’s benefit package includes:
- Paid holidays and vacation
- Sick leave
- Retirement plan
- Health/dental insurance
- Payroll savings plan
- Deferred compensation investments
- Employee assistance program
- Department issued equipment
- Annual uniform allowance
- Annual pay raises as approved by the governing authority
- Competitive starting salary
Anyone interested in working for the Carrollton Police Department should save the application form to their computer, fill it out, and then email the completed application to Deputy Chief Chris Dobbs (firstname.lastname@example.org).
ONLINE APPLICATIONS MAY BE EMAILED AT ANY TIME. IN-PERSON APPLICATIONS ARE ACCEPTED ON WEDNESDAY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.